John’s practice is devoted to the defense of litigated claims, both in the trial and appellate courts. His experience includes the defense of personal injury, wrongful death, civil rights, fire loss, vehicle negligence, product liability, construction liability, trip and fall, premises liability and property damage cases. His work includes defending entities in cases involving roadway design, construction, signage and other safety deficiency claims. He has defended individuals and entities in defamation cases. John has handled and tried various cases to verdict involving sports injuries and accidents - representing baseball stadium owners, golf courses, hockey players, bicycle path operators, race track injuries, and cases involving gymnasium equipment. He has represented parties in numerous cases involving the work of emergency responders, ambulance, fire, police and EMT personnel. A significant portion of his work has been devoted to the defense of municipalities, police officers, and firefighters.
John has tried in excess of 100 civil jury trials to verdict in the various counties throughout Central Illinois. Further, many cases are addressed prior to verdict by way of a summary judgment motion, and John’s record includes resolution of hundreds of cases by means of summary judgment entered in favor of the defendant at the early stage of the litigation.
John also has a focus in probing special investigations into various medical billing practices utilized by medical providers. These cases include numerous specialties. Many of these investigations is to determine explore the methods which are utilized by certain medical providers that can result in an increase, unbundling, or application of multiple charges with separate CPT codes. Always, the issue is the proper determination of “reasonable” medical charges, within the local community in regions in the State of Illinois.
John has written and spoken extensively to defense groups, including attorneys, insurance carriers, and third party administrators in the industry on topics including: evidence, reasonable damage elements, immunities for municipal entities and their defenses, as well as vehicle and homeowners’ defense issues.
John’s practice also includes handling cases through the Appellate Courts in Illinois as well as in front of the Illinois Supreme Court. John has handled appeals in the Second, Third, and Fourth Appellate Districts, which has included legal research, the preparation of briefs, and arguing cases before the Appellate Courts. John has appeared in and argued several landmark cases in front of the Illinois Supreme Court located in Springfield, Illinois. John’s appellate work has also included practice before the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in the Federal Court System.
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts - Central District and Northern District of Illinois
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- University of Illinois School of Law, Champaign, Illinois
- Juris Doctor (1984 - Dean's List)
- Millikin University, Decatur, Illinois
- B.A., magnum cum laude (1981)
- Master of the Bench, American Inns of Court
- Past-Chair, Municipal Law Committee, Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Frequent lecturer – Peoria County Bar Association, Illinois Municipal League, Insurance Defense Seminars, Numerous Illinois Insurance Companies and Third Party Administrators (TPA)
Focus Practice Areas
- General Civil Defense
- Insurance Coverage Disputes
- Bad Faith & Section 155 Claims
- Complex Injury Claims
- Premises Liability
- Nursing Home Defense
- Automobile Accident Liability
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Uninsured/ Underinsured Motorist Claims
- Municipal Liability
- Dog Bite / Animal Control Act & Animals Running At Large
- Liquor Liability
- Sports Injuries and Sport Liability Claims
- Appellate Work
- Federal Civil Practice
- Civil Rights Claims – Defense
- Police Officer Liability